Sunday 1 December 2019

Scooby Doo, How Old Are You?! (Unabridged)

 This is the unabridged version of the introduction for my 2019 Halloween special video about the history of Scooby Doo, along with gameplay from the Commodore 64 game titled "Scooby Doo" which I owned as a child. As well as having extra parts I deemed not worth mentioning in the live read I have also included links where appropriate to pages which may have more info on certain series or characters but if you would like a general read up on Scooby Doo you can click here for his Wikipedia page and here for all the Scooby Doo media made since his inception.

I hope you enjoy the extra bits!



Since my Son was born I have been adamant there would be certain movies and TV programs that I watched as a child which I would like for him to at least experience and, with any luck, love as much as I do. Everything from classic cartoons like the Flintstones, weird animation series like The Trap Door and live action shows like Mighty Morphin Power Rangers will be showcased to him via online mediums and for the ones real close to my heart be available via a healthy collection of DVD's for access whenever he wants after the zombie apocalypse begins and the internet is turned off.

(It is my goal to keep Peppa Pig at bay for as long as humanly possible. The very thought of having to watch that abhorrent pig and her annoying family on a regular basis because let's face it, kids like to watch thing on repeat, repeatably, chills me to the bone. But I digress...)




I have already started his collection of classics after I happened to come across the complete series of Top Cat at a charity shop who were having a clear out of DVDs due to having a ridiculous amount donated to them over the years and there not being much call for physical copies any more, which in itself I find a tragedy. I mean, why go through the visceral exertion of putting a disc in to a player and THEN having to get ANOTHER remote which isn't for your TV to press play when you can watch whatever you want within a couple of clicks these days... am I right?! Eh? I'm not completely convinced but that's another rant for another time... I guess I am old. Now this is probably the geriatric in me thinking this, and in a world where I'm pretty certain everything will be available online at some point in the future either via direct access or through some sort of ordering system I suppose there is a certain redundancy when it comes to physical copies but I can't help but think that these companies who we subscribe to have a little too much power, and through either no fault of their own or even more sinister, by design, they can remove access at any time and you will have nothing to show for it other than an empty bank account and a empty heart. OK, that's probably taking things to the extreme but you get my point! You don't own it and it can be taken away from you whenever, for whatever reason is feasible at the time. Scary.




ANYWAY, it was on this crusade that drove me to checking a couple of other charity shops, CEX, (pronounced "sex", which is a pretty bold thing to do I think!) and when we were up early enough the occasional trip to local car boot sales this Summer when I found the first 2 series of Scooby Doo in pristine condition. As soon as I got back home I popped in the first disc and sat down with my Son for an afternoon of spooky shenanigans with FredDaphneVelma and the MVPs of the cartoon Shaggy and Scooby. And it was after that first episode had concluded that I clocked in the end credits the year of release: 1969.

Scooby Doo was 50 years old!





To be precise, the premier of the original series, "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!" was on September 13th 1969 and ran for 2 seasons as part of the CBS network's Saturday morning schedule before 24 hour long specials were made up until 1973. The show then went on a hiatus of 3 years until 1976 when the series was picked up by ABC due to a television executive by the name of Fred Silverman moving away from CBS to become president of their rival network the previous year. This man is a legend in the Television industry and is the person who's responsible for green lighting many classic shows I grew up watching; The Waltons, MASH, Charlie's Angels and a personal favourite of mine I still watch today whenever I see it on, Diagnosis Murder. He was such an integral person to Scooby Doo being commissioned the character of Fred in the show is actually named after him.





When recommissioned by ABC, Scooby Doo ran for a further 15 series producing 179 episodes over 15 years in 6 differently titled variants, (The Scooby-Doo ShowScooby's All-Star Laff-A-LympicsScooby-Doo and Scrappy-DooThe New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo ShowThe 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo) up until 1991, and it was in this time where we were introduced to other members of Scooby's family, most notably Scrappy-Doo - Scooby's brave and some would say boisterous nephew. Scrappy's attitude in the series along with the change of the group dynamic of the original cast since his introduction has seen a large, very vocal group of passionate Scooby fans actively hating on the pup to the point where he was supposedly written out of the series due to this backlash, but it would appear that this was a plot by the Warner Brothers network to help ease people in to the fact Scrappy would be the villain in the first live action movie... oh yeah... SPOILERS! Surely you've seen the film by now, right?

The then gang disappeared for 11 years. Nothing lasts forever, and with the intended original audience now all grown up and tastes changing from the groovy attitude of the late 60's and 70's which the original cartoon enveloped to a more modern nuanced feel of the 90's with shows like Rugrats, Doug and The Simpsons it seemed like a good time for Scooby to be put out to pasture. But this wasn't the end of the story for our favourite cowardly Great Dane. In 2002 the gang were brought back by the the Warner Brother television network for a series titled "What's New, Scooby-Doo?" which ran for 3 series before being bounced around subsidiaries of the Warner Brother network up until present day, with a new series being shown on the children's channel Boomerang as I write called "Scooby-Doo and Guess Who?". You just can't keep a good dog down!





So, time to throw some numbers at you. In the 50 years since Scooby Doo was conceived there have been 30 series resulting in 413 individual episodes, 37 feature length animated films, 4 live action films, 32 animation shorts exclusively shown on Youtube, 13 comic series resulting in 535 issues, 5 theatrical plays which toured the world and 20 computer games throughout the years running on everything from the Intellivision to modern phones. And it's the second game made, simply titled Scooby Doo for the Commodore 64 that made me reminisce about my fondness for this cartoon and make this my Halloween special for 2019. Not the best of games if I was going to be completely honest with you, and since replaying it as an adult and doing research in to the product which was published compared to the game we were touted a year before release I can say this is a firm case of those rose tinted glasses covering up the worst cracks on show but hey... that's nostalgia for you I guess.

So I'll end this by saying Happy 50th Birthday Scooby Doo, may your cowardly demeanor and courageous appetite continue to bring a smile to children for generations to come.




Thanks once again for taking the time to read this and hopefully I'll see you next time!

Scott.


Check Out My Youtube Channel: www.YouTube.com/PalicoPadge



No comments:

Post a Comment

Scooby Doo, How Old Are You?! (Unabridged)

 This is the unabridged version of the introduction for my 2019 Halloween special video about the history of Scooby Doo, along with gamepla...